A new gas fireplace or stove will emit smoke and fumes during the first couple of start-up fires. This is normal and is called “off-gassing.” As paint cures and oils from the manufacturing process burning off, strong odors and smoke may occur. Basically, you need to turn the appliance on high and let it thoroughly heat up. Perform the break-in procedure on a relatively mild day and simply open a window to ventilate the room. The new equipment will typically take 3 or 4 hours for odors and smoke to dissipate. Be sure to check your owner’s manual. There may be a procedure the manufacturer wants you to follow for your specific model.
After a couple of initial fires, some stoves and fireplaces might produce odors. This is caused by impurities around the appliance.
These sources of impurities might include pet hair, dust, new carpeting, adhesives, cigarette smoke, candles, and solvents. Ventilate the room and keep these contaminates away from the stove or fireplace.
Be especially conscious of keeping pet hair and dust from collecting on warm surfaces and the fan.